Earlier today Majestic Athletic, the company which provides the authentic on-field jerseys for all 30 Major League Baseball teams, unveiled 10 new team batting practice jerseys for the 2014 season.
The B.P. jerseys unveiled were for the Atlanta Braves, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Miami Marlins, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, Tampa Bay Rays, and Washington Nationals.
Every MLB club will be getting a new BP jersey for the 2014 season, Majestic has been re-designing the league’s BP jerseys every three seasons since the turn of the century. The current crop replaces those unveiled for the 2011 season, these new styles are expected to stick around through the end of 2016.
The new jerseys unveiled today compared to their 2013 versions:
Some things to note…
– first of all, differences in colours are likely due to different cameras, lighting conditions, etc.
– templates! these 10 teams all have alternate colours on the under arm and as a thin stripe around the front collar
– new jock tags, which look pretty good (although you’ll only ever see them on fans wearing the jerseys)
– new Majestic logo appears on the sleeve of the Red Sox and Braves jerseys, we assume all teams will have this
– the New York Mets are using “Mr. Met” on their jock tag instead of their primary or cap logo as every other team is doing so far
Also, last week the Pittsburgh Pirates and Los Angeles Dodgers unveiled their new BP jerseys themselves:
For the most part, the changes unveiled so far are quite minimal, but if the style sheet leaked last year is accurate (which it has been pretty spot on, so far) we will see some “radical” designs still to come, notably jerseys split in half with a different colour on the front and back.