Amid the flurry of uniform unveilings across the NFL over the last few months, Arizona Cardinals second-year quarterback Kyler Murray was asked for his thoughts on his team’s look.
“I don’t like our uniforms. They’re outdated,” Murray said on a Twitch live stream, noting prefers the road uniforms the Cardinals wore from 1996-2004 that featured the state flag on the sleeves.
Arizona has worn is current uniform set since 2005, the franchise’s final season at Sun Devil Stadium. The look includes a modernized logo on a plain white helmet with a gray facemask, a custom number font and unique piping on the sleeves and down the side of the jersey and pants.
The Cardinals introduced a black alternate uniform in 2010 that follows the same template, but also includes a second set of white pants with black piping. The team then added an all-black Color Rush set to the rotation in 2017, which feature cardinal numbers and limits the amount of white throughout uniform.
Half of the league has undergone some sort of uniform change since Arizona’s last rebrand, and that’s not counting the league-wide switch to Nike and subsequent template updates or the Color Rush program.
The Jacksonville Jaguars have even switched looks three times since 2009, so to say it’s time for the Cardinals to follow suit would be an understatement. With that, SportsLogos.net is holding a contest that asks you, the reader, to redesign Arizona’s uniforms.
The rules are as follows:
• At minimum, your submission must include home and road uniforms. Alternates — such as a throwback or Color Rush set — are encouraged but not required.
• You can keep the team’s current logo, pull from the past or create your own. Same goes for the color scheme.
• Seeing as State Farm Stadium recently underwent $100 million in renovations and the Cardinals’ lease with the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority runs through the 2036 season, they’re not going anywhere anytime soon. Don’t move them back to Chicago or St. Louis.
• Along those same lines, the Cardinals’ nickname must remain intact. It dates back to 1901, when Racine Normals head coach Chris O’Brien described his team’s faded, hand-me-down uniforms from the University of Chicago Maroons as “cardinal red.”
• Use whatever graphic design program or template you want, but remember that creativity and presentation counts. If you don’t have a go-to template, head on over to the concept resources section of our forums to find one that fits your design.
All designs should be submitted by the end of the day on Wednesday, May 27. Please submit just one design to give others a greater chance of having their work featured in an article on SportsLogos.net in the days following.
Photos via the Arizona Cardinals.