The Kane County Cougars unveiled an updated primary logo today that reflects the franchise’s history, which dates back more than 130 years. The Cougars, who moved from the Class A Midwest League to the independent American Association in last offseason’s shakeup of minor league baseball, added “Est. 1888” in the style of a baseball bat brand to the bat being held by Ozzie T. Cougar in their logo.
The Cougars have played in their current home of Geneva, Illinois, since 1991, but the franchise first played in 1888 in Decatur, Illinois, where in their first 64 seasons (spread out over 85 years), they played as the Decatur Commodores, Springfield Senators, Decatur Nomads, and Decatur Cubs. In 1975 the franchise relocated to Wausau, Wisconsin, where they played as the Wausau Mets and then the Wausau Timbers. They played 16 seasons there before moving to Kane County.
The Cougars will begin their first season of independent ball next month, on May 18.