International music superstar Ed Sheeran has signed a one-year contract to become the main jersey sponsor of English League One side Ipswich Town for the 2021-22 season.
Sheeran is a native of Suffolk, England, where Ipswich Town is based, and grew up cheering for the team — as evidenced in a photo he posted to Instagram on Thursday, May 6.
“The Football Club is a big part of the local community and this is my way of showing my support,” he told the club’s website.
“I have always enjoyed my trips to Portman Road and I’m looking forward to going back there as soon as supporters are allowed into stadiums again.
“With the new owners from the US coming in, there are sure to be exciting times ahead for Ipswich fans, including myself.”
Sheeran has been photographed numerous times at Portman Road cheering on the Blues. He even wore a customized Ipswich Town jersey during concerts in Ipswich in August 2019 as part of his Divide tour.
The logo on the front of Ipswich Town’s jerseys next season will feature five mathematical symbols — plus (+), minus (-), equals (=), divide (÷), and multiply (×) — with the word “TOUR” underneath. Sheeran was coy when asked what it means: “All will be revealed in time,” he told the club’s website. But he has used +, × and ÷ as album titles in the past.
At the time of the announcement, Ipswich Town sat in ninth place in League One, two levels below the Premier League, with one match left in the season.
- Fontaines D.C. (Bohemians FC – Dublin, Ireland)
- Goldie Lookin’ Chain (Newport County FC – Newport, Wales)
- Jake Bugg (Notts County FC – Nottingham, England)
- Super Furry Animals (Cardiff City FC – Cardiff, Wales)
- The Libertines (Margate FC – Margate, England)
- Wet Wet Wet (Clydebank FC – Clydebank, Scotland)
- Enter Shikari (St Albans City FC – St Albans, England)