After unveiling a new club crest last month, Serie A side ACF Fiorentina is handing the design controls over to their fans.
On Saturday, the club and manufacturer Kappa launched a contest on their website for fans to design their fourth kit for the upcoming 2022-23 season. Budding artists have until April 17 to download a template and submit their design ideas.
“The most original and most suitable designs to represent Fiorentina’s image and values will be selected and transformed into real match kits,” the website reads (translated to English by Google).
Once finalists are chosen, they will be put to a fan vote to determine the winning design.
The complete contest rules are available for download here, but the main ones listed on the contest website for designers to keep in mind include:
- Primary colors cannot be purple (Fiorentina’s traditional home kit colour) or green (thanks to a new rule imposed by Serie A starting in 2022-23).
- You can use more than three colors as long as one is dominant.
- You can propose a circled, striped, banded or checked design, but there must always be a dominant color.
- You cannot replicate the Fiorentina logo or its elements (e.g., you cannot use only the lily, the V of Viola, or the name “ACF Fiorentina”).
- You cannot modify or move the Fiorentina logo, the Kappa logo or the Mediacom logo.
- You cannot change the shape of the shirt (e.g., collar, sleeves) — the structure must remain as it is).
- You have to use the white template that you can download here and develop a proposal in PDF, JPG or PNG format.
- Each participant can propose only one jersey.
This is not the first time in recent memory that a major European football club has solicited jersey designs from fans. In January, German Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund launched a contest for fans to design their 2023-24 home kit. The nine finalists were announced in late February, and fan voting wrapped up on March 18. A winner has not yet been announced.
Feature graphic courtesy @ACFFiorentinaEN / Twitter